Dr. Leslie’s Elderberry Syrup Recipe
Elderberry syrup is an excellent preventative and remedy for colds and flu. The elderberries (Sambucus nigra) are immune enhancing and contain high amounts of bioflavonoids that work with vitamin C to fight viruses. The honey in the syrup is soothing to the throat. The brandy is also medicinal in its traditional use as a nervine. The ginger stimulates circulation to get the medicine where it’s needed. There are numerous ways to make a syrup, this is just my favorite one.
- ½ cup elderberries (Sambucus nigra)
- ½ cup honey
- ¼ cup brandy
- 1 inch fresh ginger (optional)
- Simmer 1/2 cup elderberries and fresh ginger (peeled and cut into small pieces) over low heat in 3 cups of water for 20 minutes.
- Mash berries and strain liquid off.
- Place infusion back on the stove and simmer over low heat until it reduces to 1 cup.
- Add 1/2 cup of honey and 1/4 cup brandy.
- Place label on bottles with ingredients and date syrup was made.
- Place in bottles and store in fridge.
Should keep for at least 6 weeks in fridge
Children’s dose: ½-1 teaspoon 1-3 times a day
Adult dose: 1-3 teaspoons 3 times a day.
Dr. Leslie’s Essential Oil Anti-viral Spray
Combine the following in a 4 oz spray bottle:
- 3 oz. Water (distilled is best to prevent bacterial growth in the bottle).
- ½ oz. Alcohol (Everclear or vodka are recommended for preventing bacterial growth but any will do).
- Essential oils (you can create your own combination that appeals to you- remember you will be smelling this throughout the day, you want it to be at least a tolerable scent if not a pleasant one).
- Thyme essential oil: 4 droppersful
- Tea tree essential oil: 2 droppersful
- Eucalyptus essential oil: 1-2 droppersful
- Lavender essential oil: 1-4 droppersful
- Label with date on the bottle. Good for 3 months on the counter, 6 months in the fridge.
- Shake before use.
- Spray into the air in the room throughout the day to kill viral particles in the air.
- Spray onto hands, rub, and inhale to kill viral particles in the nose (where virus particles replicate).
Care should be taken using essential oils around infants and anyone with respiratory problems, such as asthma, in case of sensitivity to the essential oils.